Wednesday 18 February 2009

SALSA LIVES ON...

Joe Cuba aka Gilberto Calderon aka Sonny aka "The father of Latin Boogaloo" sadly died Sunday 15th February aged 78.


The legendary Puerto Rican Congero/Band Leader/Composer and all round fantastic Musician was an inspiration to many, through his Latin Jazz, Salsa and Big Band groups. Having teamed up with Ray Barretto and Tito Puente he maneged to have an extensive career in the music industry. Influencing many in his home town New York and reached world wide success.

Originally a stickball, baseball and basketball player...

"There was actually a connection between my playing ball and playing music. I starting getting involved with music in early 50s when I was 19 years old. I broke my leg playing stoop ball, sliding into the sidewalk of all things, so I asked my friend to lend me his conga. My leg was up in a cast and I couldn't do anything, so for the next few months, I practiced in the house and on the block all the time. I hung out with this guy Santos Mirando who was a great Timbaleros players."

So i guess that explains it.



RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment