Saturday 31 January 2009

"Tony...they came for you"

"They came for you Tony...they came for you" a brother from Hypnotic Brass Ensemble kept saying, as he took his trumpet out his mouth for a brief few seconds.

I'm not sure if they came for Tony or the Brothers, even though Tony was looking pretty stoosh.

Whoever they came to see they were there and i mean in numbers...for one night only beautiful women had decided to invade Cargo. I'm not exaggerating, it was hot in there.

There was a real buzz throughout the whole gig, with every new member joining the band, becoming more and more full and exciting. Each time i thought to myself "this can't get any better", they just stepped it up a gear. Baba Mal elegantly strolls on stage wearing a Snake Skin Jacket. At this point Tony Allan and Hypnotic Brass are still holing a tight Afro Beat groove behind. As he starts singing with a voice that i remember hearing when my mum used to play me his records when i was a little boy. His tone just hits again and my hairs can't but stand on end and that feeling of ecstasy just shoots down my back. He has such a intricate way of dropping in and out of the music while still giving each member enough space to express themselves freely, while keeping the music moving forward.

I was explaining to my sister that from my personal experiences from playing Saxophone in an Afro Cuban band for 3 years. One of the reasons why it was such an exciting and full of depth gig, apart from them all being very accomplished musicians, is the fact that each individual has a willingness to give 110% when performing. You can tell by the way they started their first number. The Hypnotic Ensemble had it down from the word go, i mean those guys were rocking it even before they played a note!!!Serious shit. And when they did start...

If you manage to get hold of any videos or recordings of that night please let me know and i strongly suggest sharing them as people need to hear those guys.

Sorry for the Iphone pics but better then nothin.
















Pictures courtesy of Coco Cassibba.

Catch some great shows from around the world here

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment